UK/Wales 2023: All the details!
Here’s all of the relevant information about the UK/Wales trip, including dates, funding, and package inclusions. Please read this page thoroughly before applying!
- Rehearsal Weekends have been set: (Times TBA)
- March 18 and 19, 2023
- May 20 and 21, 2023
- Group Air bookings have been confirmed, departing at 9:00 pm on Sunday, July 2. Returning mid-evening on Friday, July 14
- Here’s the rough sketch of the itinerary:
- Jul 3-5: Intensive rehearsal in charming village of Streatly on Thames
- July 6: Tentative pop-up concert at Coventry Cathedral
- July 6-8: Llagollen (Wales) CHOIR OF THE WORLD competition
- Overnight bus trip to Hythe after we win the contest.
- July 9: Small select group performs Byrd Mass in morning service in Hythe, St Leonard Church (Amazing space)
- July 10- 13: Choir in residence at JAM on the Marsh festival – including a tribute to Morten Lauridsen for his 80th birthday as coordinated by Paul Mealor.
- Possible pop-up concert at Canterbury Cathedral
- Possible collaboration with Swingle Singers
What will it cost?
- DELUXE PACKAGE: $3599.00 pp dbl occupancy
- This includes RT airfare with the group, 4-star (Beautiful!) hotels, all ground transportation about 1/3 of the meals during the trip.
- BUDGET PACKAGE: $2949.00 pp dbl occupancy
- Same as above, but staying in a youth hostel in Streatly, and budget hotels or Airbnb (we arrange) in Hythe.
- BARE BONES: $1649.00 pp dbl occupancy
- YOU BUY YOUR OWN PLANE TICKET AND MEET US THERE!! Budget accommodations in youth hostels, budget hotels or AirBNBs as delineated above.
- There WILL be financial aid available, but the amount of financial aid is contingent upon the application pool and other varying factors.
- Applications are open from February 12th to February 26th at 11:59 PM EST
- Complete an extensive Google form that will include your travel preferences, (Deluxe, budget, etc) and updated passport information if your passport is current. (The competition people want that information ASAP!!! )
- Submit a YouTube audition clip
- Confirm your availability for the rehearsal dates, as that may come into the final consideration for participation.
- THEN WHAT HAPPENS?
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance by Monday, March 6th.
- You will have until Monday, March 13th to confirm your involvement in the program by making a non-refundable deposit: $500 for the DELUXE PACKAGE; $300 for the BUDGET OR BARE BONES PACKAGE.*
- *If you choose the DELUXE accommodations, but wish to book your own flights, we can work that out as well, but the deposit will still be $500.
- The remainder of your trip will be paid in two equal installments: One on April 15th, one on May 31
Ready to audition?
The audition piece for this project is “Against Jealousy,” by Irving Fine.
- Prepare ONE PART for your audition.
- All applicants should learn and record the soli section on pp 4-7
- If you’re interested in the soprano solo at the end, you should submit that as well. (This will be our opener at Llangollen!)
- In addition to the recorded excerpt, please complete the following as well:
- Sing, My Country Tis of Thee in your most full voice, Bel Canto style
- Sing, My Country Tis of Thee in your most pristine, delicate style – as if performing a Renaissance mass
- Basses should start on D3, Tenors should start on A3, Altos should start on D4, Sopranos should start on C5
- Be sure to state your full name at the beginning of the recording and what part you’re auditioning for
- There are markings in the score from the last time we sang this. Please be musical and attentive to detail
- You can paste the UNLISTED YouTube link into the application form when you submit. PLEASE DO NOT SEND IT ATTACHED TO A SEPARATE EMAIL. I WILL LOSE IT! Better to resubmit your application than risk that.