Get ready for our next rehearsal marathon.
San Francisco and New Zealand Reconnaissance
Happy New Year, everyone!
After a quick trip to New Zealand, with a stopover in San Francisco, I’ve been flying under the radar for the last few weeks hanging with family and managing our mammoth home construction project. But alas, all good things must come to an end. I’m working diligently to catch up now! It’s time to turn up the heat on the World Choir Games project.
The photo gallery above is a mixture of shots from San Francisco and Auckland. You’ll have to guess which is which. Early next week, Amy, Rachel, and I will travel to San Francisco and Napa to finish workout out logistics on the ground there. I’m sure we’ll have another update with pics after we return. Napa valley is typically gorgeous this time of year.
Upcoming Rehearsal Weekend
Here’s the schedule for the upcoming rehearsal weekend so you can plan accordingly. Rehearsal location for ALL February rehearsals is Bayard Sharp.
Friday, Feb 9: 6:30 – 9:30 pm **THIS IS A CHANGE TO WHAT WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED**
Saturday, Feb. 10: 10:30 am – 6:00 pm (Hoping we can mix and match people into LUNCH groups!)
Sunday, Feb. 11: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm (Starting early so we can get people on the road towards home early.)
PLEASE NOTE!!! – If you have a church gig, we think you’re getting out of it for Sunday morning. As always, there have been a lot of people with conflicts that have arisen over time, to which in most every case I’ve politely replied – “please fix that.” Please honor those who worked out their calendars in advance by making sure you’re in attendance at every rehearsal.
Stuff you need to tend to…
- There are still a lot of people delinquent on the December payment, and the February payment is just around the corner! As I say that, we’re in something of a cash flow conundrum as we’ve already paid ALL the Auckland ground expenses in advance. Amy will be nudging you again. Please respond to her and pay up!
- Once again, we’re looking for people who can house and make airport runs for those flying in from afar. There will be another Google form in Amy’s next blast. If there’s ANY way you can possibly help, that would be a kindness of epic proportions.
- John Frederick Hudson just finished the commissioned piece we will debut as part of the Contemporary category. He’s sent a midi file, and is making a few final tweaks to the score. It’s epic, to say the least. We’ll post the score and midi recording later this week. We’ll also be adding the Hella Johnson How Can I Keep From Singing to perform together with another choir in New Zealand, as well as a Māori piece. Those will be posted by the end of the week.
- Luke Williams has created pronunciation guides for the pieces in foreign languages. Please begin studying now so we don’t have to spend a lot of time working out diction issues in rehearsal.
- You may well hear from our section leaders between now and our rehearsal weekend, but I can tell you from where I sit, here are the pieces I’m most concerned about in this next rehearsal cycle:
- Schütz – Die Himmel
- Kreek – Õmnis
- Rütti – Missa ita est
- Esmail – Tuttarana
- Brahms – Heimat
- Everything in the folder could use a little pre-rehearsal love, but these guys need some serious hug therapy! Again, the best thing you can do to affirm your singing colleagues is to know the music well enough to lead your own section.
I think that’s it for now. You’ll be hearing a lot for Amy and Rachel in the coming weeks as we start to double down on tour arrangements. SO looking forward to another stunning weekend of singing together.