THERE’S A NEW PROCESS FOR UD CHORALE AUDITIONS THIS YEAR – INCLUDING THE CALL-BACK PROCEDURES!
ANYONE CAN SELF SELECT FOR A CALL-BACK!!!
In past years, singers have only advanced to the call-back stage for UD CHORALE once they had completed the general audition process for all choirs. At that point, those chosen for the call-back process would be given a piece to learn in one-day then show up to perform in live the first day of classes!
Stress inducing for sure!
THE NEW PROCESS emulates the audition process we’ve developed for the Delaware Choral Scholars in recent years.
Here are the steps:
- Complete the general choral audition applicable to ALL students wanting to sing in a choir at UD. You can find the detailed instructions for that process here. (This INCLUDES returning members of the UD CHORALE!!!)
- DOWNLOAD THE KVERNO CORPUS CHRISTI CAROL score. Learn the part you wish to audition for. Submit an audio recording accordingly to the following guidelines. Please follow the instructions carefully! (Note: you should sing the ENGLISH VERSE for the audition, not the Norwegian text!)
- Complete the GENERAL CHORAL AUDITION as outlined here! This includes ALL RETURNING CHORAL MEMBERS! We will not hear your call-back if you’ve not submitted the general audition as well. (Note that this part of the audition is due one day earlier, on Sunday, August 27th at 11:59 pm)
- Learn your part of the Kverno excerpt, paying close attention to pitch acuity, intonation, and ALL the expression markings on the page.
- Make a recording of your part and upload to the CONTRACT/APPLICATION page labeled as follows: “Last Name_First Name_part”(e.g. Susie_Johnson_alto.mp3)
- DO NOT ANNOUNCE YOURSELF ON THE RECORDING!!! We want auditions to be truly anonymous. If you announce yourself, clearly you are no longer anonymous. That may well disqualify you from the process.
- Complete the CONTRACT/APPLICATION FORM where you will upload your audition recording, provide additional information about yourself, and indicate availability for for contractual Chorale dates for the fall semester. Conflicts may be negotiated during the audition process, but if you indicate you’re available on the contract, you are expected to honor that commitment. (Infractions will result in grade penalties and possible dismissal from the group.)
- Should you have a very specific conflict, feel free to reach out to me to see if we can reach a compromise. (email@example.com) Otherwise, a negative decision may be made simply on the basis of your availability.
- SUBMISSION DEADLINE FOR ALL OF THE ABOVE IS MONDAY, AUGUST 28th at 11:59 PM.
- You can see the fall performance calendar here.
- Once you have submitted your audition/application, your audio submission will be made anonymous and will be reviewed by Dr. Head and two other jurors not associated with UD. All submissions will be reviewed on Tuesday, August 29th. The roster for the 2023 UD CHORALE will be released by Thursday, August 31st. In addition to email notifications, the roster will be posted here on this page.
As we are traveling quite a lot this year (Fall tour to Long Island and a conference run-out to Ithaca with the Wind Ensemble, I anticipate that the UD CHORALE will be smaller this fall. Maybe as few as 40 singers! Those completing the Chorale audition process also increase their chances for acceptance for University Singers for their banner year as they will be performing in Rhode Island at Eastern Division ACDA. It’s a big year!
Should you have questions or concerns about the process, please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org). This will be the most challenging program the UD CHORALE has taken on since before the pandemic. I look forward to watching this amazing ensemble take shape.